Honoring veterans through mortgage assistance
Homebuyer program(s): In California, all of the state’s buying programs geared toward first-time buyers are also applicable to veterans. California boasts several buyer programs, ranging from FHA-insured purchase loans which can be combined with the state’s down-payment-assistance loan, to Mortgage Credit Certificates, to discounts to buyers who purchase homes and make energy-efficient improvements.
California’s purchase programs include CalPLUS Loan Program, CalHFA FHA Loan Program, California Homebuyer's Downpayment Assistance Program (CHDAP), Mortgage Credit Certificate Tax Credit Program (MCC), Individual Development Accounts, Utility Energy Efficiency & Solar Programs, and the Weatherization Assistance Program.
Veteran population: 1,844,803
Notable military bases in state: Edwards AFB, Camp Pendleton (Marine Corps), Naval Base Coronado
Veterans: Now that you’re aware of the purchase programs in your state, view current VA mortgage rates in your area.
Average home price: $517,086
Ask the Expert
- Q. Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- Q. Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
question gets published.
< Go Back
Most Popular Articles
- »Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- »First-time homebuyer's guide to open houses
- »With mortgage rates so low, what’s holding back housing?
- »Homeowners: How do mineral rights and fracking affect you?
- »Financial strategies for retired homeowners
- »The pros and cons of the mortgage interest deduction
- »Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
- »Can I get a mortgage with a FICO score of 600?
- »Is it time to bring back the homebuyer tax credit?