Honoring veterans through mortgage assistance
Homebuyer program(s): In addition to the SmartMove Trio program, which offers first-time buyers “an affordable” 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, up to $6,000 for down payment and closing cost assistance, and a federal tax credit, Illinois’s Welcome Home Heroes program offers veterans up to $10,000 in down payment and closing cost assistance, a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage (including FHA, Conventional, VA, and USDA) with a “competitive” interest rate, and a federal tax credit which can reduce the federal tax liability by up to $18,000 over the life of the loan.
Veteran population: 764,203
Notable military bases in state: Scott AFB, Rock Island Arsenal (Army base), Great Lakes Training Center (Navy)
Average home price: $130,710
Ask the Expert
- Q. Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- Q. Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
question gets published.
< Go Back
Most Popular Articles
- »Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- »First-time homebuyer's guide to open houses
- »With mortgage rates so low, what’s holding back housing?
- »Homeowners: How do mineral rights and fracking affect you?
- »Financial strategies for retired homeowners
- »Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
- »The pros and cons of the mortgage interest deduction
- »Can I get a mortgage with a FICO score of 600?
- »Is it time to bring back the homebuyer tax credit?