Honoring veterans through mortgage assistance
Homebuyer program(s): Unlike some states, New York has a purchase program--the Home for Veterans Program--specifically designated for veterans. The program allows vets to apply for any of New York’s first-time buyer programs but with “more favorable terms.” New York’s loan programs for qualified veterans include Remodel New York, Achieving the Dream, Construction Incentive Program and Low Interest Rate Program.
New York also has a program called the Conventional Plus Program, which offers a fixed-rate, 30-year mortgage and down payment assistance to first-time and repeat homebuyers alike. This program is available for purchases and refinances on primary residences.
Veteran population: 918,093
Notable military bases in state: Fort Drum, U.S. Military Academy, Saratoga Springs Navy Base
Average home price: $251,442
Ask the Expert
- Q. Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- Q. Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
question gets published.
< Go Back
Most Popular Articles
- »Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- »First-time homebuyer's guide to open houses
- »With mortgage rates so low, what’s holding back housing?
- »Homeowners: How do mineral rights and fracking affect you?
- »Financial strategies for retired homeowners
- »Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
- »The pros and cons of the mortgage interest deduction
- »Can I get a mortgage with a FICO score of 600?
- »Is it time to bring back the homebuyer tax credit?