Honoring veterans through mortgage assistance
Homebuyer program(s): The N.C. Home Advantage Mortgage “offers competitive interest rates along with down payment assistance up to 3 percent of the mortgage loan amount – fully forgiven after 15 years – for first-time and move-up buyers.” Qualified borrowers can also apply for a second mortgage to help with the down payment and closing costs. First-time buyers can utilize a Mortgage Credit Certificate to save up to $2,000 a year on federal taxes.
While the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency website doesn’t mention veterans specifically, the Home Advantage Mortgage is available for FHA, VA and USDA mortgages.
Veteran population: 771,654
Notable military bases in state: Pope AFB, Fort Bragg, National Strike Force Coast Guard Base, Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base
Veterans: Now that you’re aware of the purchase programs in your state, view current VA mortgage rates in your area.
Average home price: $171,486
Ask the Expert
- Q. Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- Q. Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
question gets published.
< Go Back
Most Popular Articles
- »Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- »First-time homebuyer's guide to open houses
- »With mortgage rates so low, what’s holding back housing?
- »Homeowners: How do mineral rights and fracking affect you?
- »Financial strategies for retired homeowners
- »The pros and cons of the mortgage interest deduction
- »Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
- »Can I get a mortgage with a FICO score of 600?
- »Is it time to bring back the homebuyer tax credit?