Honoring veterans through mortgage assistance
Homebuyer program(s): The state of Pennsylvania doesn’t limit its purchase loan programs to first-time homebuyers or veterans, but requires that you do “not have an ownership interest in any other residential dwelling at the time of loan closing.” Like every state, Pennsylvania requires that you meet specific requirements in order to qualify.
HFA Preferred Risk Sharing and HFA Preferred are two loan programs available to veterans that either eliminate the need for mortgage insurance or make it easier to obtain, allowing veterans to pay a lower monthly payment. The Keystone Advantage Assistance Loan program provides down payment assistance in conjunction with the two HFA programs. Lastly, veterans can combine the Keystone Advantage Assistance Loan with a Mortgage Credit Certificate to help alleviate tax costs.
Veteran population: 980,529
Notable military bases in state: Tobyhanna Army Depot, Navy Station Mechanicsburg
Veterans: Now that you’re aware of the purchase programs in your state, view current VA mortgage rates in your area.
Average home price: $211,550
Ask the Expert
- Q. Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- Q. Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
question gets published.
< Go Back
Most Popular Articles
- »Does a lower credit score mean a higher FHA mortgage rate?
- »First-time homebuyer's guide to open houses
- »With mortgage rates so low, what’s holding back housing?
- »Homeowners: How do mineral rights and fracking affect you?
- »Financial strategies for retired homeowners
- »Will mortgage insurance protect my family if I pass away?
- »The pros and cons of the mortgage interest deduction
- »Can I get a mortgage with a FICO score of 600?
- »Is it time to bring back the homebuyer tax credit?