X

See what's happening with home values in more than 400 metropolitan areas with HSH's Home Value Tracker, just updated though the second quarter of 2022.

See what's happening with home values in more than 400 metropolitan areas with HSH's Home Value Tracker, just updated though the second quarter of 2022.

I cannot get financing for a round home. Any advice?

Q: I am interested in a well built (already had an inspection) round home. I have 70 percent for a down payment and still cannot find financing for the remaining 30 percent. Any advice? Thank you so much!

A: Finding financing for a unique home can be a challenge! We haven't got a specific suggestion for a lender or a financing avenue to explore, but there is an industry guide with a lookup tool that might help.

Scotsman Guide lender look-up tool

The “Prime Niches Search Engine” comes from the Scotsman Guide. According to their mission statement, “Scotsman Guide Media's mission is to be the leading provider of information, resources and tools for professionals in the mortgage industry.”

How it works

Under “Basic search criteria” you will need to provide your state and loan amount (this info is required). Under the section “Advanced search criteria” you will select “purchase” for loan purpose field, and "few comps" under the “Property Types” field and see if there are any lenders returned when you click “search” at the bottom of the page.  

If that doesn’t work…

If the Prime Niches Search Engine does not return any results, finding a lender will be a manual process: calling all available lenders and asking if they finance "unusual" properties. Your best bet in this regard is finding a lender who write loans for their own books (known as “portfolio lenders”).

Talk to the seller

Also, if the property was financed before (or ever) you might ask the seller about the party who wrote any previous loans.  You should also research other unusual properties in or near your location (or anywhere) and reach out to those folks for some guidance.

Ask the expert
Keith Gumbinger
Keith Gumbinger
Mortgage Expert
Vice President, HSH.com
About Keith: Mortgage market observer and analyst with 35 years experience... (more)
Please enter a question.
Please enter name.
Please enter email.
Captcha code invalid
Q: How are mortgage interest rates determined?
AUG 18, 2022
A:

Mortgage rates fluctuate from day to day, depending on a number of factors related to the economy and to choices made by investors. While some mortgage money comes from deposits held by banks and credit unions, most of the funds for borrowers come from investors in capital markets.

Read More
Q: Will today's stock market influence tomorrow's mortgage rates?
AUG 16, 2022
A:

Mortgage rates are influenced by a variety of factors, rather than moving in lockstep with any one economic indicator. The stock market rises and falls for a wide variety of reasons, including global, economic and political issues, but as a broad rule of thumb, a rising stock market indicates optimism among investors about the economy.

Read More
Q: Should I pay private mortgage insurance out of pocket or finance the cost?
AUG 12, 2022
A:

For the most part, this is a discussion about time. You should compare the total costs of the difference in the two interest rates over your given time horizon.

Read More
Add to Homescreen?
X
X
Install this web app on your phone :tap and then Add to homescreen